Economic Recovery Manager in Dollo Ado: The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants.
The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
- Title: Economic Recovery Manager
- Location: Dollo Ado Frequent Travel to Field Locations in the project areas
- Employment Category: F2
- Salary Range: USD 1,445.00 – 1,757.00 per month which specific amount will be determined up on candidates experience and educational relevancy
- Reporting To: Area Manager
- Direct reports: Economic recovery team leader, Officers, and assistants
- Start of Contract & Duration: December 31, 2023
- Posting date: March 16, 2023
- Closing date: March 31, 2023
Overall purpose of the role:
The Somali region based Economic Recovery Manager is responsible for the overall implementation and strategic direction of the drought responce projects in the Somali Region Dollo Ado and Jijiga Field office, providing direct supervision of Economic Recovery program staff in the Somali field offices (Dollo and Jijiga). The Area Manager advises DRC’s program staff to ensure all programming in the assigned areas of operation is in line with DRC Ethiopia’s country strategy and is in full compliance with the organization’s policies and best practices. The Economic Recovery Manager is responsible for leading project cycle management, proposal development, and program strategy – ensuring the successful implementation and completion of all activities, and relevance and responsiveness of the activities to priority humanitarian needs in the assigned areas of operation.
- Provide leadership, management, and technical direction of DRC Somali Region Dollo Ado and Jijiga Drought response projects, in coordination with and as agreed technically with the Area Manager to ensure rapid implementation of field activities in line with agreed donor plans and budgets.
- Ensure implementation of Economic Recovery, MPCA, and resilience projects, along with any other new Economic Recovery projects initiated in the regional office;
- Supervise and ensure the implementation of all Economic Recovery activities in the field, ensuring quality and timely implementation;
- Plan and implement rural Economic Recovery, resilience, and DRR activities with the guidance of the Area Manager, including, but not limited to: MPCA, livestock and agricultural Support and training, DRR planning, VSLAs/access to finance.
- Project Cycle Management, including active participation in the completion of all programming components of the Programme Management Tools (PMT) for all Economic Recovery programming in the Somali region.
- Uphold the professional standards related to Economic Recovery s programming in humanitarian assistance.
- Contribute to the development of concept notes, logical frameworks, and proposals as needed;
- Assist in the identification of strong local partners and potential programme synergies to develop for future opportunities;
- Manage the CVA projects and ensure the distribution of multipurpose cash assistance are conducted in a safe and accountable manner;
- Coordinate closely with Area and Country MEAL focal points to ensure that site observation, output and impact monitoring is conducted in a timely manner, and that appropriate CFM options are available in target sites / to programme beneficiaries.
- Uphold the highest standard of confidentiality when managing records to ensure beneficiary dignity and privacy;
- Contribute to the production of quality and timely reports on Economic Recovery s program activities;
- Provide weekly/monthly reports to the Area Manager for Jijiga and Dollo, including accurate figures of distributions/referrals done and challenges encountered, in the agreed format
- Ensure that all project documents (including from previous implementation periods) are available, accurate, and archived in soft and hard copy according to DRC procedures
Representation and coordination:
- Develop and strengthen relationships with potential local partners, stakeholders, and communities in order to maintain trust in DRC’s professional standard and quality of work among all stakeholders;
- With the coordination of the Area Manager, represent DRC externally to at the site level in relation to Economic Recovery project activities, including in Livelihoods coordination fora with other agencies.
- Regularly update mapping of stakeholders implementing Economic Recovery s’ project in the area of responsibility;
- Ensure coordination with other INGOs, government bodies, and DRC departments (Protection, M&E, Procurement, and Finance);
- Closely work with the partner organization to ensure smooth implementation and linkage between the interventions
- Contribute to the effective implementation of operations support activities related to Economic Recovery Programme, including related to administration, finances, and logistics, so as to ensure smooth project implementation.
- In all matters, comply with internal directives and policies as communicated by the Area Manager, Head of Programme, and/or the relevant support departments;
- Provide inputs to Area Manager/ to ensure effective and efficient utilization of Economic Recovery s program resources through monitoring and tracking of expenditures against budgets;
- Anticipate, along with Area Manager, potential over/under spending on activity budgets;
- Provide expenditure forecast to Area Manager on monthly basis;
Staff management, training & Capacity development:
- Train, coach and mentor Economic Recovery s programme staff in various technical areas and in project management skills, through internal or external facilitation, including formal and informal interactions;
- Contribute to the timely performance & development management measures for the Economic Recovery s programme staff, including appraisals and remedial actions.
- A strong team worker;
- Aptitude to work in difficult conditions and stressful situations;
- Excellent internal and external communication and coordination capabilities and excellent team building and coordination skills;
- Continuous Learning; a colleague who promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Creativity and Initiative; someone that actively seeks new ways of improving programs, services and partnership;
- Performance Management; a person who identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance and supervision;
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Professional technical experience evidencing and demonstrating the ability to deliver against the above-mentioned responsibilities:
- Masters/Bachelor’s degree with relevant, progressive experience in Agronomy, Animal production, Agroeconomics, Economics, international development, Agribusiness, Business Management, marketing, livelihoods, or related technical field;
- Experience in Multipurpose Cash Assistance, Agriculture/Livestock, cash-based interventions and humanitarian operations, food security, and livelihoods;
- At least 5 years of experience in livelihoods, economic recovery, and cash assistance in fragile states, conflict and drought environments;
- Excellent understanding of cash, food security, and livelihoods technical concepts and experience conducting detailed market, and livelihood needs assessments;
- Demonstrate ability to work across functions and sectors to design and implement high-quality market-based programming, and in-depth knowledge of supply chain and financial management and controls of cash and/or voucher programs;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate technical expertise and standards and implement best practice approaches to implementing rapid, consistent, high quality emergency projects as well as protracted displacement situations;
- Experience with conflict and drought related displacement issues and working in security-sensitive environments and enforcement of team security protocols is an asset;
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Masters/Bachelor’s degree with relevant, progressive experience in Agronomy, Agroeconomics, Economics, international development, Agribusiness, Business Management, marketing, livelihoods, or related technical field;
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=167583 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than March 31, 2023.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
- Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
- Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
Job Description: Click Here