Finance Controller in Copenhagen: Are you driven by accounting and structure and would like to work for an organization that makes a big difference to vulnerable people around the world? Do you like working with numbers while also having fun? With its 8,000 employees, the Danish Refugee Council is one of the world’s largest NGOs. We are looking for a skilled English (and preferably French or Spanish) speaking Finance controller who would like to join our Finance Controlling team, in which we have a supportive work culture and set high ambitions.
Who are we?
The Department of Finance, Supply Chain and Risk (FRISC) consists of more than 70 colleagues divided in 4 divisions, the biggest of which is Operational Finance, of whose section is Finance Controlling. You will be a member of the Finance Controlling team, which is composed of 8 Finance Controllers, working together, and supporting the 40 DRC Country Operations that are spread over 4 continents.
About the job
The purpose of the position is to provide support to country operations to facilitate the accounting of financial transactions and subsequent controlling. You will be ensuring quality financial data of the Country Operations, while also providing guidance to further develop capacities of your finance colleagues.
Operational Finance Controlling
- Perform Month End Closure (MEC) controlling tasks to ensure country operations (COs) compliance (which implies controlling the Trial balance of the COs)
- Provide MEC capacity building to Finance colleagues in Country Operations
- Be responsible for settlements of ledger balance accounts
- Assist countries with accounts receivable, by invoicing project Milestones
- Support country operations in providing HQ Finance supporting documentation related to transactional finance
- Support countries with the Year End Closure and their eventual related statutory audit
- Escalate issues to management as needed
- Any other accounting and controlling tasks, as required by the manager
Country Expert Advice & Capacity Building
- Provide on demand expert advice to countries, regarding accounting modalities (including support during COs Statutory audit)
- Provide countries with technical support related to Microsoft Dynamics 365 functionalities
- Support countries on capacity building of finance &accounting related staff, namely country finance managers and coordinators, head of support services, supply chain managers, project managers
- Be the focal point of Country Finance Manager, with regards to country accounting financial matters
- Be the main focal point of Country Finance Managers technical induction
- Be the support focal point of Head of Support Services accounting technical induction
You will also be involved in ad-hoc tasks, with the aim of improving the overall business financial capacities in DRC globally as well as participating in various working groups, taskforces etc. across the organization. The position will require travelling to the country operations (2-3 weeks a year).
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a self-fulfilled professional, with high operational and ethical integrity, that can work autonomously in a day-to-day aspect. Controlling and quality assurance are your strengths, while a strong team approach is needed when it comes to standardization, common goals, and quality across the board.
You must have a solid operational financial & accounting background, combined with the elegance of multicultural communication and the precision of a surgeon. Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics 365 is a must, although any ERP related experience will be a plus. Nevertheless, a great will to learn by doing is desired, as Microsoft Dynamics 365 in DRC is yet customized to fit the organization´s multilevel setup.
Our working language is English. Arabic, French & Spanish skills will be considered an advantage while speaking Danish is an added value.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in relevant field, namely finance, accounting, business administration, etc.,
- Accredited Chartered accountant by a renown international institution (CPA, CFA, CMA etc.)
- Controller and accounting experience, preferably from an international organization.
- Ability to translate accounting issues to manageable solutions and being comfortable bringing these solutions to your colleagues and manager.
- Have attention to details while at the same time keeping an overview.
- Advanced user of Excel.
- Ability/ Willingness to travel (2-3 weeks per year)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
We offer a very nice working environment in the center of Copenhagen, in a vibrant area of the city. Your colleagues are a great team of multi-background professionals with whom you will integrate smoothly and will feel supported. Flexibility in working is a given, as we value mostly work/life balance. Opportunities to travel and see the world. Finally, we believe that everything can be solved with a smile and some open discussion.
Contract length: Permanent
Working hours: 37 hours per week including lunch
Workplace: Borgergade 10, Copenhagen
Start date: 1 June 2023 (or earlier)
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the agreement between DRC and AC (agreement for Academics) or other relevant agreement. This is a national position for which local terms and conditions apply.
Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 3 April 2023
For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Head of Finance Controlling, Baptiste Colin firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description: Click Here