Grants Management Manager in Kabul: The Danish Refugee Councilassists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Grants Management Manager is overall responsible for business development, grants management, partnerships and communication throughout the programme cycle.
In close coordination with Head of Programme, the Grants Management Manager oversees business development, including the development and updating of the country’s fundraising strategy, maintaining updated records of donor engagement, remaining abreast of Afghanistan donor priorities, and identifying new donors in line with DRC Afghanistan’s fundraising strategy.
During the grant cycle, the Grants Management Manager is responsible for the coordination, finalization, and submission of high-quality concept notes, proposals and budgets, as well as donor and Government reports, in close collaboration with the programme and support services departments. During implementation, the Grants Management Manager is responsible for providing guidance and advice to programme teams on donor compliance and contractual obligations and facilitating Grants Review Meetings in coordination with the Head of Programme.
The Grants Management Manager is also responsible for overseeing partnerships with national and international organizations, including the development and updating of the country’s partnership strategy and the management of sub-grantees throughout the project cycle (from identification of the partner and due diligence assessment to the management of the sub-award).
Finally, the Grants Management Manager – together with the Head of Programme – is responsible for overseeing communication and visibility outputs for the country programme, keeping track of media approaches, activities, etc.
The Grants Management Manager is also responsible for the overall management of DRC Afghanistan Programme Support Unit (PSU), which comprises one Manager and four Specialists.
- Develop DRC Afghanistan fundraising strategy, in close coordination with the Head of Programme and in line with DRC Afghanistan’s Strategic Plan
- Keep abreast of Afghanistan donor priorities to inform DRC engagement and positioning for funding
- Identify new fundraising opportunities, in line with DRC Afghanistan fundraising ambitions and programmatic scope
- Maintain updated record of DRC Afghanistan engagement with donors
- Act as a focal point between the Afghanistan Country Office, the Business Development Coordinator in the Regional Office, and DRC Grants Management unit in HQ
- Liaise with donor representatives and coordinate donor visits to programme sites, in support to the Country Director, the Deputy Country Director, and the Head of Programme
- Serve as the lead writer/coordinator/editor for concept notes and proposals, as needed. Project proposals will be designed in collaboration with Head of Programme, Technical Coordinators, Deputy Country Director, and Area office teams (Area Manager and Area Program Manager), ensuring alignment with donor strategies and requirements and that DRC’s programme handbook guidelines are incorporated into proposal design.
- Ensure streamlined and clear communication between all departments (finance, program, and area operations) in the drafting of budgets.
- Contribute (alongside relevant colleagues and especially the MEAL Manager) to the development of strong logical frameworks and monitoring & evaluation plans that are in line with the logic of intervention and clearly described within each proposal.
- Develop/update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure clear and streamlined processes throughout the grants management cycle and across DRC Afghanistan operations
- Ensure development and submission of specific reports alongside relevant colleagues. This includes following reporting/proposal development deadlines and planning. As well as, but not limited to, communicating with relevant staff members to ensure timely and quality inputs, verifying data, and donor compliance.
- Coordinate the development and submission of project revisions ((no-)cost extensions, amendments, top ups, reallocations, where necessary, in line with donor regulations and timelines.
- Provide guidance on and ensure compliance with donor and DRC rules, regulations, and guidelines and raise issues affecting external/ internal compliance Oversee grant management processes, including proposal amendments, grant extensions, etc.
- Coordinate Grants Management Meetings in line with established methodology and agreed timelines, ensuring that project management tools are updated.
- Ensure quality information management related to grants (including managing the DRC Grants Management System (GMS) and in-country documentation and trackers) and promote timely and efficient communication to all relevant focal points regarding important Grant information impacting implementation, including any amendment to scope of the intervention, budget and targets.
Grant management support to local implementing partners (subgrantees)
- Lead on the development and updating of DRC Afghanistan Partnership Strategy
- Support in the partnership capacity assessment to local implementing partners
- Lead on the development of sub-grant agreement and management of sub-grants to DRC national and international partners
- Provide technical support, guidance, and tools to implementing partners during the proposal development process
- Collaborate in designing capacity building plans including grants management support
- Provide technical guidance and deliver trainings on DRC and donor guidelines and proposal development and reporting to DRC staff
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure DRC Dynamics is used to its full capacity
- Ensure proper application of ERP grants and projects processes in the country
- Apply reports and data analytics from ERP system to improve performance in the country
- Ensure that Country ERP support is in place (i.e. super users)
Communication and Media
- Work closely with programme teams to develop a comprehensive media and communications strategy, ensuring smooth flow of information, good relations with high profile visitors and the media, and high-quality reporting to showcase DRC Afghanistan activities and achievements.
- Review/finalize and sign-off of all comms materials prior to external dissemination.
- Ensure that all external communications align with donor requirements and internal guidelines.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Line Manager of DRC Afghanistan Program Support Unit, including four Grants Management Specialists working from DRC Country Office in Kabul
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports. This includes hiring & termination, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 5 years’ experience in proposal, project, or programme development, reporting, or grants management in an INGO
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Excellent knowledge of donor rules, regulations, and procedures including but not limited to US and European donors, EU funding mechanisms, and UN agencies.
- Proven experience in successfully applying for institutional donor funding
- Previous proven experience in programmes implemented through local partners or in remote management
- Proven experience in capacity building and training of national staff and local partners.
- Master’s degree in international relations, humanitarian or development studies, business administration, or other public and social policy or related field(s);
- Advanced skills in written and spoken English
- Dari and Pashto are an advantage
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong coordination/interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach
- Detailed-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to design, develop and implement processes
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft office
- Full professional proficiency in English (written and orally)
- Contract length: 31 December 2023 with possibility of extension.
- Band: MF
- Designation of Duty Station: Kabul Afghanistan
- Top up credit card as per office regulations.
- Health Insurance will be provided by DRC Afghanistan
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DRC salary scale.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages).
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Job Description: Click Here