Head of Programme in Kampala: Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme for our operations in Uganda.
About the job
The Head of Programme is responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation and for providing technical input to the implementing actors within the different sectors.
The Head of Programme is also responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas. S/He will enable and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation activities across the entire country operation. The Head of Programme is finally responsible to over strategic development of the portfolio, ensure consistent fundraising activities and external representation.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Program strategy and business development
- Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation. Ensures strategic coherence and vision of the whole country programme, based on active participation in the drafting of the DRC Strategic Programme Document and as part of the Senior Management Team
- Provides technical expertise to the entire country operation and ensures technical advice on programme quality, MEAL and programme development for the Country programme
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations
- Responsible for shaping and driving the Advocacy strategy for the country and feeding into regional initiatives
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships with organisations, donors and authorities, in line with the country programme strategy and DRC partnership management policy
Quality and accountability of the programs
- Responsible for developing policies, processes, and standards within respective areas
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards, including application and harmonisation across field bases
- Ensure that DRC values and code of conduct are respected and upheld, including through setting a personal example
- Support the grants team in timely submissions of high-quality donor reports.
People Management and internal communication
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for expatriate and national staff on technical issues and program cycle management, based on assessment of the critical program improvement needs of the country mission
- Work in close cooperation with programme and support staff in the country mission, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in other regions and HQ
External relations and representation
Together with Country Director, ensure adequate bilateral representation of DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regard to programme and participation in coordination meetings as relevant.
To be successful in this role we expect you to possess the following:
- A post-graduate degree in international relations, business administration, management, law/human rights, social sciences or related field;
- Minimum 7 years professional work experience in humanitarian/ development work including in displacement setting
- Demonstrated experience of successfully managing program implementation
- A good understanding and experience of context in Uganda is an added advantage
- Technical expertise and experience in livelihoods, conflict management, WASH, protection, infrastructure programming in post conflict setting is an advantage
- Proven analytical and strategic planning skills;
- High-level communication and people skills;
- Excellent writing skills and able to negotiate effectively between different stakeholders, and to represent DRC at high level forums;
- Extensive experience in representation and networking, in particular with Government authorities, EU, humanitarian and development actors;
- Demonstrated project, program and human resource management experience, including working with local partners;
- Strong understanding of MEAL, including in complex programmes;
- Full professional proficiency in English is required.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: 1-year possible extension depending on funding.
- Band: E
- Designation of Duty Station: Kampala l Accompanied Family Duty Station
- Start date: As soon as possible
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15 April 2023
The screening process for this position is on rolling basis, so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC reserves the right to start with the next steps in the recruitment process prior to the closing date, should we identify a suitable candidate.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Job Description: Click Here