HR and Admin Manager in Beirut: DRC has been responding to various humanitarian crises in Lebanon since 2004, working with Palestinian, Iraqi and Syrian refugees. DRC received registration from the Ministry of Interior in 2011, and since then has focused primarily on responding to the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon and the resulting impact on Lebanese host community.
DRC Lebanon’s focus is to ensure that we are able to respond to critical emerging humanitarian needs whilst improve the living conditions of displacement-affected populations and contribute to the achievement of durable solutions. With an annual portfolio of $10million, and with approximately 180+ staff, DRC is focusing its response in protection and economic recovery sector in Bekka, North Lebanon and Beirut. DRC is also contributing to the evidence base and coordination structures in country through our Evidence Generation and RIMS teams.
About the job
The HR and Admin Manager is responsible for ensuring that DRC’s HR functions are carried out effectively across the country operation, in order to achieve the organization’s objectives. The HR and Admin Manager is responsible for ensuring that every manager in the country operation can receive both strategic and operational sparing and support.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Management & Coordination:
- To ensure the efficient management of the staff members of the HR and Admin Department in the country office: this includes daily supervision of the tasks, follow-up of the targets defined and lead over the performance and development appraisals;
- To visit regularly the bases and areas of the country operation and to provide technical guidance, as the technical line management and technical focal point of the coordination office, to HR duty bearers and contributors at base/ area level
Recruitment and Selection:
- Drive and support recruitment and selection activities by planning and assessing staffing needs;
- Advertise positions and assist with scheduling the interviews; Participate in interview panels when needed
- Ensure compliance with recruitment process by quality checking the job adverts, posting the job adverts on internal and external job boards, support with sending the electronic form for reference checks, and issuing the offer letter after the process is concluded;
- Ensure all unsuccessful are being notified; the interviewed candidates are notified by the hiring manager and all the rest are notified via an automatic reply via the recruitment system
- Document and file the recruitment process
- Provide recruitment overview for senior managers
- Work with senior management team and senior staff on a number of initiatives related to employees
- Ensure managers have created job descriptions for the employees, and store them on the personnel file
- Ensure oversight and consistency in position titles and grades, across all field locations.
- Support senior management in workforce planning, succession planning and mobility within DRC country operation(s)
- Support management in restructuring and downsizing
- Planning and budgeting for the HR function in the country
- Ensure that there is a yearly cycle for performance appraisals in the country operation
- Ensure both probation and performance appraisals are done in the country operation by monitoring Dynamics
- Advice managers on poor performance and ensure the documentation stored on the employees’ p-file is stored properly; act as an impartial mediator in the process
- Prepare legally compliant letters in consultation with internal or external legal advisors
- Advice managers on Code of Conduct cases in relation to potential disciplinary action
- Drive the induction process in the country operation
- Drive the coordination of international staff pre-arrival process, arranging induction schedule, office & guesthouse tour, conducting internationals staff HR induction and maintaining oversight of logistics, visa/entry process and travel arrangements.
- Advise managers or staff on how to fund training and development opportunities
- Ensure exit interviews are conducted by establishing a process of informing managers to perform the exit interview
- Ensure exit forms are issued and send to exiting employees
- Coordinate team related needs and training
- Participate in localization of R&R and Housing policy
- Source insurance or other health option for national staff
- Guide managers on stress management
- Assess compound life from a well-being perspective
- Follow-up on DRC voices
Contracts and Compensation:
- Issue offer letter for national and international employees
- Manage the full contract process for national employees including contracts, extensions, addendums, and resignations
- Request international contract to be done by HQ
- Negotiate terms of employment for national employees
- Ensure that the terms of employment for national staff are localized
- Lead salary benchmark process every two years or more frequently if needed
- Develop and maintain salary scale
- Administer payroll for national staff
- Maintain Dynamics data for national staff and update some of the data for international staff (the second is clearly defined)
HR Policies and Support:
- Maintain and update Staff HR Handbooks as necessary
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in HR related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery
- Produce the necessary policies and guidelines to reflect the local requirements
- Localization of the global policies and ensuring that the local labour law is taken into account
- Ensure managers are familiar will the necessary tools and procedures within people management
- Ensure to request technical support from either the region or HQ
- Manage the HR team in the country office and ensure they are capacitated to perform their job
- Respond to audit requests
- Develop administrative and support service policies, procedures and guidelines; make recommendations on policy and procedural change; revise policy and procedures as necessary in consultation with senior management and other relevant stakeholders
- Act as the focal point for liaison with DRC’s lawyer on legal matters including on official communication with government stakeholders
- Accountable for ensuring that visas, residencies and other government approvals and permits for all DRC staff and visitors are followed up and renewed on time.
- In cooperation with HOSS, develop SOPs and policies related to Guest House, expat housing and main office.
- Oversee administrative support services and provide general administration assistance e.g. setting appointments, scheduling meetings and event management.
- Oversee the planning and organization of conferences, meetings, retreats, and workshops.
- Establish and manage inventory control for communal office supplies, stationary and other admin consumables; distribute items on request through a formal requisition process; assess and monitor consumption to avoid waste and losses
- Ensure timely processing of all administrative payments; work with the Finance Department to compile and process invoices related to operations expenditures and ensure that charges are booked to relevant departments
- Oversee facilities management services to ensure fully equipped, fully operational and highly maintained offices and guesthouses.
- Regularly review adequacy of space requirements; identify appropriate office space and facilitate housing for staff and short-term visitors; negotiate rental agreements, terms and conditions; manage landlord relations
- Establish a Visitor Welcome Service; ensure pre-arrival information is sent, logistical arrangements are made (transport, accommodation), visas and necessary permits are obtained and support is extended on arrival.
- Coordinate visits for visitors when needed; logistical arrangements, trip agendas, meetings and in-country travel.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have:
- Minimum 5 years working experience in HR with at least 2 years in a senior HR management role within an NGO.
- Demonstrated understanding and working knowledge/experience of Human Resources Management principles, concepts & processes.
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues.
- Good facilitation skills and ability to deliver induction briefing/training.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Masters in the field of strategic Human Resources or Business Management, or similar field.
- HEAT Training (preferred)
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic
- Good attention to detail.
- High level analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people.
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills, with experience in coordinating multicultural teams.
- Commitment to Danish Refugee Council values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: 31st of December 2023
- Band: F-1
- Duty Station: Beirut
- Start date: Mid April 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 5th of April 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Job Description: Click Here