Knowledge Management Officer: United Nations invites application for the qualified and experienced candidates for position of Knowledge Management Officer.
- Posting Title: Knowledge Management Officer (Knowledge Engineering), P4
- Job Code Title: KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT OFFICER
- Department/Office: Economic Commission for Africa
- Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA
- Posting Period: 09 May 2023 – 22 June 2023
- Job Opening Number: 23-Documentation and Information -ECA-179570-R-Addis Ababa (G)
- Staffing Exercise: N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Economic Commission for Africa’s (ECA) mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA’s five new strategic directions which are: Advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take a local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This post is located in the Knowledge Management Services Section (KMSS) of the Publications, Conference and Knowledge Management Division (PCKMD) of the Economic Commission for Africa. The Knowledge Management Officer works under the supervision to the Chief of the Section and overall guidance of the Director , PCKMD.
Within delegated authority, the Knowledge Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Leads in the formulation of overall knowledge management/engineering strategy:
• Develops institutional policies, procedures, and guidelines for knowledge management and knowledge engineering systems for the organization.
• Advises the organization and its information clientele on innovative systems to support knowledge-enabled business processes as well as participate in system process reengineering efforts to satisfy the knowledge needs.
2. Leads is the knowledge engineering systems: – Building large-scale information systems:
• Plans, implement and monitors major knowledge systems projects and upgrades of major components of these complex systems which impact critical knowledge operations for large or multiple user groups, ensuring that all design aspects are addressed, controlled, and security mechanisms established.
• Analyses the needs of users, translating them into the state-of-the-art Information Technology solutions for knowledge management, leading the projects implementation and ensuring use of industry standards.
• Participates in development and implementation of the organization’s portfolio of business process, advising requesting units on the most appropriate strategies and approaches for incorporating knowledge management and resolving complex problems through knowledge engineering.
• Develops detailed functional specifications, architecture specifications, solutions and user documentation for key knowledge systems, and identifies problems in architecture, information security, integration and linking of systems.
• Maintains, upgrades, re-architects or improves existing Knowledge systems; troubleshooting and providing ongoing support to clients, including solving difficult problems, , monitoring transactions to measure the performance and ongoing effectiveness of the knowledge system.
• Develops and maintains computer programs that require the integration of many interrelated systems and program elements; ensure data security, architecture compliance and appropriate access controls, considering local and broader issues.
• Implements new technologies in knowledge/information management to ensure the users have modern tools for efficient access to knowledge and related information resources.
Organizes and carries out unit test and integration tests; design and use test bases; assist users in acceptance tests.
• Evaluates applications and cost-effectiveness of knowledge services in relation to technology options, and provides reliable, up-to-date research and specifications for information/knowledge management technologies and innovations and prepares data and recommendations for decision-making.
3. Liaison with vendors and procurement services related to information/knowledge systems:
• Evaluates the performance of vendors and exchange partners and negotiates charges where necessary and facilitates communications between vendors and section, serving as coordinator in the development of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for specific IT services or general technology support for the information systems.
4. Supervision, reporting and regional knowledge management initiatives:
• Participates in regional knowledge management initiatives applying knowledge engineering solutions to facilitate information discovery and access, collaboration, networking of users.
• Contributes to writing, operating manuals, training materials, reports and papers on knowledge engineering including systems-related topics, system requirements and best practices.
• Participates in work programme and budget planning and supervises and trains staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Professionalism: Knowledge of systems design, and development, management, implementation and maintenance of complex information systems. Ability to develop and oversee large centralized or decentralized institutional systems; conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand information system and business operational issues so as to thoroughly analyze and evaluate critical systems matters. Knowledge of a range of computer languages and development paradigms, knowledge of organization’s information infrastructure and IT strategy as it relates to user area(s). Ability to integrate knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives. Ability to advise senior management on complex systems development and related matters of significant importance to the institution; conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand information system and business operational issues so as to thoroughly analyze and evaluate critical systems matters. Ability to improve processes and approaches; demonstrates adaptability to changing priorities. Knowledge of organization’s information infrastructure and IT strategy as it relates to user area(s); strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement on difficult issues. . Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction. Conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
An Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related fields is required. A recognized first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, design, architecture, development, implementation and maintenance of Information/knowledge systems, computer systems or related areas is required.
Experience in complex system architecture, implementation and operations of large centralized or decentralized knowledge/information systems is required.
Experience in regulatory compliance in relation with information and application security and Agile DevOps methodology and application development in the cloud and advanced Web development is required.
Knowledge of project management methodologies and several high-level programming languages and analysis, including structured and object-oriented design, relational systems, advanced scripting and query languages, hardware and software requirements, system installations and execution protocols, document design and management is required.
Proven contributions in exploring, adapting and applying new technologies and methodologies in knowledge management and library services is desirable.
Certification in PRINCE2 or other project management methodology is desirable.
Experience with SharePoint and .NET technologies are desirable.
Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required; Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfill the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Administrative Profile (AP) and cover letter.
At the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the recruitment and employment of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity, with due regard to geographic diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
For this position, applicants from the following Member States, which are unrepresented or underrepresented in the UN Secretariat as of 30 November 2022, are strongly encouraged to apply: Afghanistan, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Belize, Brunei Darussalam, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, China, Comoros, Cuba, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Djibouti, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Malta, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Monaco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Norway, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Sudan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Vanuatu.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Job Description: Click Here