Legal Aid Team Leader in Kharkiv: Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine for more than 10 years with emergency and durable solution interventions for assisting IDPs, returnees, Host communities, and conflict-affected populations. With the outbreak of the conflict in February 2022, DRC has shifted its programming to emergency response to meet the urgent needs of conflict-affected population in the country. Current DRC programming is focusing on protection activities such as protection monitoring, information dissemination, Individual protection assistance, and legal aid.
DRC is also planning to add to the ongoing emergency protection response activities such as GBV prevention and response, Psychosocial support (PSS), and community-based protection. In addition to protection programming, DRC is currently implementing Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI and Food distributions, Shelter & WASH interventions, and Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Demining and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education.
Overall purpose of the role:
Legal Aid Team Leader will focus and ensure compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines. The role contributes to the development of field strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. Ensure and oversee the implementation of DRC Ukraine legal aid projects and legal partner of the Legal Assistance Program.
Management and Implementation
- Lead and manage the team including people planning, leave planning, recruitment process, performance and discipline, well-being and skills development. The post-holder should have a good grasp on relevant DRC policies and Ukrainian legislation.
- As a manager, set the tone for code of conduct and lead in creating a harmonious and respectful work environment.
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities.
- Ensure daily monitoring of an area.
- Provide technical support and inputs.
- identifying advocacy issues based on analysis of current legislation and legal issues of beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Lead on drafting advocacy materials such as briefing notes, advocacy letters.
- Take the lead on identifying and developing new directions of program interventions based on analyzing the relevant surveys and needs assessments.
- Initiate the team involvement to the performing new project activities for obtaining additional skills and knowledge.
- Provide report inputs on project indicators based on LAU database information.
- Take the lead in providing inputs to the lessons learnt report.
- As a staff manager and budget holder, the team leader should have a reasonably good understanding of, and help ensure compliance with relevant DRC policies and Ukrainian legislation.
Programming and Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Take the lead in the day-to-day work with local implementation partners that includes coordination and representation.
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues.
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings and events.
- Contribute contextual and needs analysis as well as recommendations/feedback relevant to developing new programmatic avenues and innovative approaches.
- Collaborate with MEAL staff to monitor and evaluate projects and develop and apply lessons learnt
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow-up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC.
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities.
- Implement Legal Aid intervention, identify protection concerns and facilitate access to services, conduct awareness-raising conflict-affected populations and IDPs, provide ongoing in-person technical support, inputs, and coordination with DRC´s legal local implementation partner.
- Priority should be given to initial engagement with the community and different stakeholders (including DRC´s local implementing partner) for a mapping exercise and an assessment to ensure the intervention is contextualized.
- DRC-DDG staff;
- Oblast/city/village authorities;
- Minimum 3 years of management experience, preferably in the field of humanitarian response for an INGO.
- Master’s degree in law.
- People management skills.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Full professional proficiency in Russian and Ukrainian.
- Conversational written and spoken English is mandatory.
- Field experience.
- Advanced English proficiency.
- Perfect command of Ukrainian and Russian both oral and written.
Contract length: 3 months with possibility of extension based on available funding.
Level G managerial
Start date: ASAP
Only candidates who possess the right to work in Ukraine will be considered. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 31 March 2023
We reserve the right to conduct further interviews before the deadline for submission of applications.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Job Description: Click Here