Procurement Logistics Manager in Niamey: The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) helps refugees and internally displaced people all over the world: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights and strengthen their chances for a better future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along displacement routes and in countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive to find responsible and sustainable solutions. We work for a successful integration and, as far as possible, for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
- Position title: Procurement/logistics manager
- Supervised by: Support Services Manager
- Responding to: Support Services Manager
- Duty station: Niamey
- Intervention zone: Niger
- Contract length: 12 months
- Desired start date: as soon as possible
- Type of Contract: Expatriate
- Job classification, salary and benefits: MF / unaccompanied position
DRC was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown into an international humanitarian organization with over 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced people. All our efforts are based on the following values: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, honesty and transparency.
DRC ‘s operations in Niger began in 2014, with Armed Violence Reduction programs in Liptako Gourma (Tillabéri region) led by technical teams from DRC’s Danish Demining Group (DDG), which has been renamed “Disarmament Humanitarian and Peacebuilding” (DHCP) from 2020.
In 2016, DRC intervened in the Diffa region, in the east of the country, to provide emergency aid to refugees from Nigeria and displaced people from the Lake Chad area, fleeing the incursions of Boko Haram. From 2018, the deterioration of the security situation in the Tillabéri region and its consequences on the protection situation of communities as well as on humanitarian access led DRC to strengthen its involvement in the region, and to open a coordination in Niamey to support the expansion of its programs in Niger. Finally, since 2019, in response to the refugee crisis in Nigeria, DRC has been working in the Maradi region.
In 2023, DRC intervenes in 11 departments of the country, distributed in 3 regions where the inhabitants are among the most vulnerable and at risk of protection. DRC supports individuals, households, communities and authorities in the sectors of Protection, Shelter and Non-Food Items, Food Security and Economic Recovery, and Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding.
DRC provides a multisectoral emergency and recovery response while supporting the search for lasting solutions for the populations, and the operationalization of the Nexus in close collaboration with humanitarian and state partners. DRC promotes an integrated approach for all of its interventions that promotes the centrality of protection, accountability to its partners and the populations concerned and their participation through a community approach.
The position and its role
Supply/Logistics Manager, you ensure the effective implementation of all DRC Niger supply and logistics functions. The Manager ensures compliance with DRC’s internal policies and procedures and provides technical support and guidance to program management teams while supporting the implementation of DRC activities in Niger.
Your main responsibilities and tasks will be as follows:
- Participate in the development of project proposals within its scope of responsibility and in the definition of the resources necessary to ensure the feasibility of the projects;
- Ensure that a supply plan is developed for ongoing projects and new projects and ensure that the supply plan is regularly updated;
- Develop framework agreements for recurring purchases and ensure the renewal of framework agreements in line with DRC rules;
- Be responsible for the quality and compliance of documents related to a purchasing process (purchase request, request for quotation, request for proposal, call for tenders, etc.) before requesting validation from the regional office (Dakar , Senegal);
- Ensure that purchasing tracking tools are updated and accurate (purchase tracking table, framework agreement tracking table, list of suppliers, list of waivers, etc.).
- Ensure that the equipment tracking table is accurate and regularly updated and that all RDC assets are tagged and listed;
- Supervise the end-of-year inventory and ensure compliance with DRC requirements (quality, deadline, reconciliation with accounting, etc.);
- Ensure that the removal of capitalized equipment is justified by the appropriate document (gift certificate, sales certificate, loss certificate, etc.) and that the latter is approved by the Country Director;
- Forecast investment needs for the following year (computer equipment, means of transport, renewal/maintenance of equipment and/or furniture, etc.).
- Oversee the management of vehicle movements to ensure efficiency and ensure timely implementation of programs/activities;
- Ensure that the use of DRC and/or rental vehicles complies with DRC procedures (logbooks, fuel consumption monitoring, etc.);
- Ensure that the vehicle tracking table is accurate and regularly updated;
- Ensure that all DRC vehicles are regularly maintained.
Management of premises and warehouses
- Supervise the upkeep and maintenance of the premises in Niamey (office, guest house and premises at the expense of DRC);
- Anticipate all the needs necessary for the proper functioning of the offices;
- Maintain and regularly update an annual budget detailing the planned expenses for the operation of the offices;
- Oversee stock management and ensure storage areas are clean and tidy;
- Ensure that monthly and quarterly physical inventories are carried out;
- Advise on methods of disposal of unused or expired products, in accordance with DRC and donor regulations.
- Realize the recruitment of the employees of his team, ensure their integration, manage the daily follow-up, ensure the reinforcement of their capacities and the trainings, the disciplinary management as well as the regular evaluation of their performance.
- Prepare the schedules of the teams under his responsibility (logistics staff, drivers and guards of the Niamey office).
- Provide technical support to the supply/logistics team at other bases and other program staff as required as the “technical focal point” for the supply/logistics department.
- Plan and conduct regular procurement/logistics trainings with relevant participants (Finance, Logistics, HR and Program) to ensure implementation of agreed and consistent systems.
- Work closely with program staff and other support staff in Niger and actively seek the necessary support, knowledge and coaching from colleagues in other regions and at headquarters.
- In the event of an audit, ensure that the documentation and explanations requested by the auditors are provided within a reasonable time;
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations made by internal and external auditors;
- Manage the reservation of air travel with departure and/or arrival in Niger and the accommodation of DRC personnel passing through Niamey;
- Support the Support Services Manager in identifying gaps in procurement/logistics policies in order to develop adequate policies and procedures.
The responsibilities listed in this job description are not exhaustive and can be readjusted according to operational needs, while remaining in line with the general objective of the role.
Skills and qualities required
- Master 1 in logistics and/or supply chain management.
- Experience as Supply Chain Manager / Logistics Coordinator (at least 2 years);
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the management of humanitarian logistics in the field of supply chain management, fleet management, asset management and distribution support.
- Proven team management skills.
- Computer skills, especially Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working in an ERP financial computer system. Experience working in Microsoft Dynamics will be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups and nationalities.
- Excellent time management, planning and prioritization skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to provide training to logistics and non-logistics staff.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to meet competing demands within tight deadlines.
In this position, you must demonstrate the five essential skills of the DRC:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on achieving results while ensuring an efficient process. You strive to produce accurate, thorough and professional work with the best use of time and effort.
- Collaborate: You cooperate with and involve relevant parties, actively seeking their opinion and sharing key information with them. You support and trust others, while encouraging feedback.
- Take the reins: You take responsibility and prioritize your work according to DRC’s overall vision and goals. You take the initiative in the face of a challenge or an opportunity and you seek innovative solutions.
- Communicate: You write and speak effectively and honestly while adapting your style and tone to the situation. You actively listen to others and involve them in dialogue.
- Demonstrate Integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s Values and Code of Conduct, including protection from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment .
- Employee must follow DRC’s security, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including Code of Conduct and Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- The employee shall not engage in any other remunerated activity during the term of their contract with the DRC without receiving prior authorization to do so.
- The employee shall not engage in any activity that may be detrimental to DRC or the implementation of any project during the term of the contract with DRC
- The employee must not give media interviews or publish photos or other documents related to the project without prior authorization
- The employee must return all equipment borrowed for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
If you are interested, then apply online by going to this site: https://job.drc.ngo/jobs/
Applications can only be made online, on the site indicated above. You must upload your CV (3 pages maximum) and a cover letter online. The CV and cover letter can be in French or English.
Applications made by post, by sending an e-mail or by submitting a physical file will not be considered.
DRC provides equal employment opportunities and prohibits any practice of discrimination based on race, sex, skin color, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, age, marital status or a any disability. DRC does not discriminate in its recruitment processes.
For more information about the Danish Refugee Council, please visit the organization’s website at drc.ngo.
Applications will close on April 10, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. GMT. Nevertheless, it is possible for the DRC to begin, before the end of the publication of the offer, the recruitment process if an application meets the expectations and requirements of the position.
Job Description: Click Here