Protection Assistant in Medyka: The Danish Refugee Council is currently looking for skilled and enthusiastic Protection Assistant to join our team in Przemysl/Medika, Poland.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading protection agency whose mandate is to promote and protect durable solutions to conflict and displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC is implementing a multi-sector response to support Ukraine refugees, IDPs, and host populations both within Ukraine and in the neighboring countries of Poland, Romania and Moldova, and wider Europe.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine since 2014, following previous operations in the 1990’s and between 2007-2013. Over the years, DRC successfully maintained its presence in the government-controlled areas (GCA) and adapted its programs to provide early recovery and durable solutions to people affected by the conflict including IDPs and communities living along the contact line, as well as reduce the threats of explosive ordnance with a growing humanitarian mine action program.
Due to the ongoing conflict that began on Feb 22, DRC opened offices in Poland, Moldova and Romania to provide support to displaced populations through a partnership with civil society organizations and national NGOs, duty bearers, and other actors. DRC continues to implement in these three countries through partnerships, technical assistance and capacity exchange, and direct implementation in some cases.
DRC Poland will be responsible for the management of several Blue Dots together with UNICEF with the support of UNHCR in Przemysl and at the border.
About the Job
Reporting to the Protection Team Leader. the Protection Assistant will be responsible for the information/welcome desk at the Blue Dot and also support mobile outreach activities:
- Welcome Blue Dots clients and provide information on services available and terms of accessing those, ensuring messaging is inclusive and rights-based.
- Reach out to potential clients at your duty station (train station, at the border, shelters) and provide information on services available and terms of accessing those; ensuring messaging is inclusive and rights-based.
- Manages information materials available in the Blue Dots and collective sites and supports linking people to services.
- Supports identification of protection concerns within the community and identification of individuals at heightened risk.
- Supports linking persons of concern with services and referrals to relevant services.
- Encourages clients to provide feedback after visit using DRC Complaint and Feedback Mechanism.
- Participates in mobile outreach activities within PODKARPACKIE region.
- Documents Blue Dot and mobile outreach activities as advised by Team Leader.
- Provides needs-based translation/interpretation support.
- Reports on key contextual and operational changes and challenges to the team.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a minimum of 1 year of relevant, proven work experience. Moreover, we expect the following:
- A Diploma or equivalent professional qualification.
- Experience in administrative tasks.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with following standard procedures and guidelines.
- Fluency in the Roma language is mandatory and a good command of Ukrainian and/or Polish is good command.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
Contract length: until 31.12.2023
Base salary range: from PLN 7,505 to PLN 9,585 gross per month, based on experience.
Duty station: Przemysl/Medika and outreach locations.
Start date: Asap
We offer a competitive salary and benefits in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
All applicants must already have the legal right to live and work in Poland without visa sponsorship or be EU/EFTA/Ukrainian citizens.
Closing date for applications: March 30th 2023
Applications will be reviewed, and interviews conducted on a rolling basis, and we, therefore, encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Job Description: Click Here