Protection Manager in Herat: The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
ABOUT THE JOB
Responsible for developing context sensitive strategies and implementing the protection project component of DRC’s programs in the area. Provide technical expertise on program development in all relevant projects.
Project Management and Implementation
- Coordinate, plan and monitor project activities in coordination with team leaders;
- Ensure the highest quality of the sectoral interventions, and the coherence between all projects, ongoing and proposed, according to the overall strategy;
- Take leadership of the project programs in terms of high quality and timely deliveries, narrative reporting and financial overviews, close cooperation with donors, Government counterparts and coordination mechanism on site and in synergy with other DRC interventions in the area;
- Formalize and develop project related operational tools and training modules;
- Provide input for monthly, quarterly and annual donor reports;
- Provide overall budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control for the project activities, including compliance with minimum DRC and donor requirements.
Program development and strategy
- Representation of DRC and active participation in sectoral and relevant sub sectors/working groups;
- Oversee knowledge sharing across teams, and ensure that monitoring and evaluation results are understood and used to improve programs;
- Drive the development and growth of the relevant programs within the DRC program objectives and feed into country-wide strategy development.
Accountability and reporting
- Guided by the DRC Program Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives within relevant project program as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities;
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement.
- Lead and manage project staff members including coaching, ensuring coordination, recruitment, and capacity development.
- Provide on-the-job training as much as required and adapt trainings/coaching to specific staff needs.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in protection sector working for an INGO.
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing.
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in project development.
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations.
- Experience working directly with displaced populations.
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Bachelors in law or other social sciences
- Minimum 5 years of proven international experience in NGO projects.
- Experience in the relevant project area.
- Proven leadership skills and competence in people management.
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for external audiences (including governments and donors);
- Experience in producing high-quality technical material (training material, program tools, proposals, strategic documents etc.
- Experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Good knowledge of English and fluency in Dari
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the DRC salary scale.
- Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking the Apply button below. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Job Description: Click Here