Protection Team Leader in Dnipro: Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs working in 40 countries worldwide, is currently looking for a highly qualified Protection Team Leader for Dnipro Office.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine for more than 10 years with emergency and durable solution interventions for assisting IDPs, returnees, Host communities, and conflict-affected populations. With the outbreak of the conflict in February 2022, DRC has shifted its programming to emergency response to meet the urgent needs of conflict-affected population in the country. Current DRC programming is focusing on protection activities such as protection monitoring, information dissemination, Individual protection assistance, legal aid, GBV prevention and response, Psychosocial support (PSS), and community-based protection. In addition to protection programming, DRC is currently implementing Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI, Shelter & WASH interventions, and Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Demining and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education. The organization counts with 6 offices in he country.
Overall purpose of the role
- Lead protection program activities in the field;
- Deliver technical support and guidance to team;
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the protection program activities being implemented by DRC
Protection monitoring, identification of protection concerns and facilitation access to services through the referral system to the beneficiaries; Individual protection assistance, support and, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, awareness-raising, advocacy for the rights of displaced persons in their context of displacement. Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities;
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
- Provide leadership, management and support to the Protection Staff in implementation of general protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives
- Ensure that the Monitoring Evaluation and Referrals are done accordingly by the Protection Staff
- Contribute the project planning and implementation on the filed level
Programming & Operations
- In close coordination with the Protection manager and legal protection officers, ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors;
- Document case studies, best practices and lessons learned from the cases handled by the protection staff
- Support the protection team in implementation of protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives
- Carry out Protection monitoring, data collection and documenting the needs of the persons of concern
- Plan and participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns of the persons of concern
- Participate in joint assessments, identifying protection concerns and reporting
- Support mapping of services and development of effective referral pathways
- Identify, conduct and follow up referral.
- Ensure adequate and relevant data collection
- Draft protection monitoring reports, provide input in designing protection monitoring tools and formats when required
- Planning and conduct interviews with beneficiaries, focus group discussions and Conduction of key‐informant interviews and drafting of the relevant reports
- Regular reporting to the Area manager of the activities implemented; as well as planned for the coming week
- Represent DRC in protection meetings as required, and drafting of relevant minutes and communicated as required.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the area manager, relevant to the achievement of protection objectives
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC in protection meetings as required and drafting of relevant minutes and communicated as required.
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- • Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- • Contributing to the program tools development
- • Project implementation and reporting
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for people management of employees, usually working in the same area of work
- Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
- Hiring and termination of employees and conducting performance appraisals (closely overseen by the next-level manager)
Required experience and competencies
- Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Fluency in local languages is required.
- Field experience
- High professional ethics
Degree in political science, international development, economics, Law or another relevant field
Contract length: 6 months renewable depending on performance and funding.
Level: G Manager
Designation of Duty Stations: Dnipro
Start date: As soon as possible.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Only candidates who possess the right to work in Ukraine will be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30 April 2023
We reserve the right to conduct further interviews before the deadline for submission of applications.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Job Description: Click Here