Radio Resource Coordinator: Farm Radio International invites application for the qualified and experienced candidates for position of Radio Resource Coordinator.
- Position title: Radio Resource Coordinator
- Language Requirements: Bilingual (English/French)
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Supervisor: Manager of Radio Network Services
- Works closely with: Managing editor, Translator, Specialty Teams, Barza Wire Bureau Chiefs, Networking coordinators
- Position Type: Full-time
- Application deadline: April 21, 2023
Farm Radio International is a Canadian organization that has been working since 1979 to harness the power of radio to meet the needs of small-scale farmers. We work with more than 1,000 radio organizations located in more than 40 African countries to fight poverty and food insecurity. With the benefit of FRI resources and training, our broadcasting partners deliver practical, relevant, and timely information to tens of millions of rural Africans, including women farmers. We also work with a range of funding partners to implement radio projects that address specific development challenges and community needs delivering results for farmers and other rural denizens.
The Radio Resources specialty team produces written and interactive resources for our radio partners to improve their knowledge on rural development issues (agriculture, health, environment, gender equality, etc) and radio broadcasting. This includes the production of written content resources such as interview and drama scripts, backgrounders, radio spots, and Barza Wire news stories about rural people. We also produce written Broadcaster how-to guides, online learning modules, and conduct facilitated online discussions and ecourses. All of our resources can be found at www.farmradio.fm.
1. Coordinate the production and editing of resources (70%)
Under the supervision of the Managing editor:
- Communicate with Farm Radio staff, freelance writers, and editors to assign radio resources, particularly for projects in Francophone countries.
- Assist with editing and review of submitted scripts and Barza Wire stories, particularly in
- Ensure the team is on-track to deliver resources for projects.
- Coordinate the translation of Farm Radio Resource pack items into French and local African languages, including recruitment of translators as necessary
- Help coordinate the production of Barza Wire, including determining content for each issue and preparing some content
- Support editors to improve their skills
- Help to improve Barza Wire and other radio resources based on feedback from our users.
- Support delivery of online writer training, as opportunities arise (about 1 per year)
2. Distribute and monitor radio resources (20%)
- Post written resources to websites, including bi-weekly Barza Wire edition, Farm Radio Resource Pack items and Broadcaster how-to guides (as available)
- Coordinate, draft, and publish weekly email to the Radio Network, sharing Barza Wire, Farm Radio Resource Pack items, or other resources
- Manage subscribers, the “on-boarding process” and follow up communications with
- Oversee social media plan for FarmRadio.FM / Radio Resources
- Promote yearly subscriber survey and annual awards to broadcasting partners, as well as other opportunities as they arise
- Develop quarterly reports on readership analytics
3. Other (10%)
Support the GEI review of existing resources
- Support planning and implementation of webinar events
- Contribute to the development and execution of systems needed for effective Radio Resource planning, implementation, quality control, monitoring, reporting and evaluation
- Contribute to the development and execution of departmental workplans and reporting
- Collaborate with other Farm Radio teams for the successful implementation of projects and delivery of services to the Radio Network
- While this position is ideally for someone with a minimum of 2 years of experience, we know that experience can come in many forms, both in formal (paid) work as well as through volunteer or unpaid work. So, please include all of your experience in your application
- Degree/Diploma in Communication, Journalism, or related field
- Knowledge of:
- small scale sustainable farming and food security, health, climate change, or environmental issues in Africa
- radio broadcasting and ICT, communication for development (C4D)
- Experience editing and strong writing skills
- Experience working in sub-Saharan African countries an asset
- Experience in marketing and promoting news and information services
- Excellent digital skills, experience with WordPress
- Fluent in English and French
- Experience with Google analytics is considered an asset; experience with monitoring,
- research and evaluation considered an asset
- Comfortable working with limited resources, including ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent organization skills and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Farm Radio is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of colour and members of equityseeking communities are strongly encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To submit your application, send your CV to email@example.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Description: Click Here