Regional Chief of Party in Nairobi: DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC East Africa and Great Lakes (EAGL) operation focuses on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, migrants, and host communities in Burundi, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is implementing a large scale-up project to respond to the drought in the Horn of Africa and contribute to famine prevention efforts. At the current time the project will specifically be implemented in Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia, with some displacement research extending into Djibouti.
Overall purpose of the role
Reporting to the Operations Director for the Region, the Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and holds overall responsibility for the achievement of the project’s intended results, ensuring that deliverables are submitted on time and to a high standard and that the programme is delivering against its intended objectives, and ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors. S/he will serve as the principal point of contact with the donor, oversee the programme components, be responsible for risk management of the programme as well ensuring robust and meaningful programme learning and adaptation is embedded
- Be responsible for the leadership, oversight and management of the delivery of expected results throughout the life of the programme, consistent with the contract objectives.
- Serve as the principal point of contact with the donor, overseeing all formal and informal communications and providing timely updates on delivery, including risks and challenges.
- Be responsible for the ongoing active risk management of the programme, ensuring there is a programme culture of risk management at all levels, that the donor and DRC are kept informed and engaged on the project’s risks and management strategy, and that there is embedded and iterative business continuity planning.
- Lead on project delivery, including strategic direction and performance management, component design and delivery, team management, and research and learning.
- Provide and maintain a single programmatic and technical approach, ensuring a strong shared vision of the programme, robust coordination mechanisms with DRC and partners, and that the programme team teams have the needed programmatic and technical resources to plan, deliver and oversee quality programming and activities.
- Assume full responsibility over the programme team, with direct line management of the Deputy Chief of Party and project management unit leads. Manage all team members and support respectful and positive working relationships which allow for the effective implementation of all activities.
- Ensure technical sector approaches are in line with DRC global standards and best practices are mainstreamed in different country operations.
- Lead on the consolidation and revision of lessons learnt, best practices and evaluation on the impact of emergency interventions in the different country operations.
- Lead on the involvement in national and regional coordination structures to ensure adequate and timely interventions in the different country operations.
- Lead on the inclusion of partnerships by ensuring selected partners’ implementation approach are in line with DRC global standards and ensure accountability structures are in place;
- Oversee and manage the programme’s relationship with local government authorities and other stakeholders, including representing the programme in local, national, and international meetings and events as appropriate.
- Ensure robust, regular, and organised coordination between programme support services teams, DRC Country and Area offices and partners.
- Ensure the project Safety and Security Plan is being fully implemented and reviewed/adapted as conditions demand.
- Collaborate with the DRC Senior Management Team to make decisions and manage security incidents at a local level
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in law, social sciences, international development, or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience working in the international humanitarian aid with at least five years’ experience in a similar role (Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Team Lead, Deputy Team Lead);
- Demonstrated experience working with displaced populations in an emergency setting together with at least 5 years of managing large-scale operations;
- A degree in a related field, such as international relations, migration, human rights, law, or social sciences;
- Proven background in large grants and award management;
- Demonstrated experience in managing large multi-location programs in complex operating environments, preferably with experience managing multi-organization teams;
- Technical expertise and experience in emergency and/or humanitarian aid programming;
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills;
- Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding program targets, whilst maintaining technical quality;
- Highly diplomatic with excellent political awareness and understanding;
- High-level communications and interpersonal skills;
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders; and
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Previous experience in the Horn of Africa or East Africa desirable
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
- Ability to prepare donor budgets will be an advantage.
- Contract: This position is subject to confirmation of funding and it’s a one year contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment; Employment band M-E2
- Availability: Anticipated start date is 15 March and the successful candidate must be able to deploy with 15 days notice
- Duty station: To be determined – Nairobi, Kenya; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; or Mogadishu, Somalia with frequent travel (more than 50%)
- Reporting Line: Operations Director
- People of concern, IDPs and refugees
- DRC’s country teams in Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia
- Donors and government representatives
- DRC support units (Finance, Administration and Logistics)
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under job.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 28th February, 2023
Job Description: Click Here