Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Assistant IRC: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) invites application for the qualified and experienced candidates for position of Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Assistant.
- Requisition ID: req41202
- Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Assistant
- Sector: Health
- Employment Category: Fixed Term
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Open to Expatriates: No
- Location: Jijiga, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery, and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion assistant reports to sanitation and hygiene promotion officer and responsible to ensure smooth implementation of sanitation and hygiene promotion project activities in area of responsibility AoR / Somali region Dolo zone Bokh Woreda Mirkan camp refugee site.. The position holder will have the responsibility of ensuring smooth and adequate environmental health conditions are met within the refugee camp, host communities and other selected specific settings around the presence of IRC project implementation site.
The principal role of the SHP assistant officer is to ensure that quality hygiene promotion activities are integrated well with the overall objective of health, nutrition and protections sectors strategic plans within Emergency projects. So, this role will be for assessing health risk practices, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of sanitation and hygiene promotion component within the refugee, local community, school and other prioritized settings. The position also requires accurate management of resources such as financial, in-kind materials, and other responsibilities under the SHP program.
This position reports to SHP Officer or SHP Manager by copying ERR Manager and Senior program manager.
Major key Responsibilities:
- In coordination with SHP Manager, the position holder will participate in designing, planning, carryout quantitative /qualitative assessments to identify key risky hygiene behaviors, to set baseline assessments, and take measurable action to come up with remarkable achievements.
- Establish / strengthen, train, manage and supervise community health workers the EHAs and other respective participants on basics of participatory hygiene promotion/education, methods/approaches, and communication and facilitation skills.
- Lead and coordinate hygiene promotion activities at the prioritized hygiene promotion (HP) intervention areas and use appropriate implementation approaches. This may include house to house hygiene promotion, massive hygiene promotion awareness raising at REFUGEE CAMP collective centers, key hygiene messages dissemination through coffee talks or small community group discussion, Hp at institutions, at community mobilization campaigns, focus group discussions (FGD), mass awareness creation especial events.
- Take the assignment for WASH hygiene kit items distributions, monitor, and record documentations properly regarding the distribution of any sort of commodities including NFIs on time and in quality manners.
- Conduct and lead sanitation campaigns in the settlement areas as donors project contract schedules but at least once per week/weekly cleanup basis.
- Mobilizing the REFUGEE CAMP/ host community on occasional, weekly, and monthly sanitation campaigns and transmitting health education on the importance of the campaign for public health and why the action is needed and what the health benefit.
- Responsible to eliminate open defecation within the living sites in the target community.
- Conduct hygiene education at the REFUGEE CAMP centers, pre-school, child friendly spaces, and other convenient areas to address and disseminate key hygiene messages and monitor results.
- Track and maintain records on all specific activities related to sanitation and hygiene promotion WASH facilities count, counts of participation in campaigns, WASH/NFIs distributions, water test records and keep any other records as necessary. So, keep accurate and up-to-date records of WASH facilities and functionality, utilization, and proposed action points to be taken.
- Working in coordination with REFUGEE CAMP community representative in both hygiene practice soft components implementation and hardware sanitation facilities site selection/location and mobilize households/individuals to build and properly use latrines and hand washing facilities.
- Daily monitoring and follow up of communal latrines, showers, hand washing facilities and tap stand cleanliness (monitor all the WAHS facilities) in the REFUGEE CAMP/host community facility centers and settlements.
- Ensure that all sorts of wastes on the compound are collected and disposed of into the solid waste disposal pits.
- Ensure that wastes segregation (combustible and noncombustible) waste segregation is done at collection and disposal points and take actions as necessary.
- Follow the burning or incineration of wastes at the waste disposal site timely and optimal or with minimal level to the environmental pollution.
- Work together with water quality monitoring and WASHCo to ensure safe water delivery and use.
- On time SHP materials demand request, ensure delivery and replenishment of them on time especially for the personal protective equipment PPE.
- Ensure safe store and use of the project resources and materials used for the project purpose without any abuse.
- Prepare weekly plan and weekly reports timely on all the specific approaches of activities implementations in consultation with environmental health agent focal person/team leader and HP assistants/officers.
- Write weekly and monthly updates, progress reports and submit timely.
- University Degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, Nursing, Community Development, Health Education, or any other related field from recognized University with relevant experience.
- Essential in the sector. – Relevant work experience on hygiene promotion with I/NGO in development, emergency, or refugee settings
Preferred experience & skills:
- Experience to apply basic to intermediate knowledge of procedures and systems to perform the requirements of the job; skills and knowledge typically acquired through a combination of job-related training, some on-the-job experience, and some formal education.
- 2 years of relevant work experience for diploma holders
- 0-year relevant work experience for first degree.
- Good Experience and knowhow on implementing participatory hygiene promotion and sanitation methods (e.g.PHAST, CLTS/H, CHC, CHAST) and organizing campaigns on key hygiene themes
- Preferable Previous experience of implementing institutional (refugee camp, schools & health facilities) hygiene promotions/educations.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required; -Essential Very good at a computer, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and e-mail)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications.
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure.
- Somali language is advantageous.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Amharic is essential.
Job Description: Click Here