Shelter Manager in Sumy: Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs working in 40 countries worldwide, is currently looking for a highly qualified Shelter Manager to be based in Sumy.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine for more than 10 years with emergency and durable solution interventions for assisting IDPs, returnees, host communities, and conflict-affected populations. With the outbreak of the conflict in February 2022, DRC has shifted its programming to emergency response to meet the urgent needs of conflict-affected population in the country. Current DRC programming is focusing on protection activities such as protection monitoring, information dissemination, Individual protection assistance, mine victim assistance, legal aid, GBV prevention and Response, and PSS. In addition to protection programming, DRC is currently implementing Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI and Food distributions, Shelter interventions, and Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Demining and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education. The organization counts with 7 offices in the country.
About the job
DRC is managing its operations in Ukraine through its country office in Kyiv, and it has established offices in Chernivtsi, L´viv, Kyiv, Chernihiv, Mykolaiv, Kharkiv, and Dnipro. The Shelter manager will be in charge of managing DRC Shelter operations in the target area including apartment and house repairs, upgrade of collective shelters, and repair of educational and/or health infrastructures. The position will be based in Sumy.
The position will include the management of approximately 10 national staff.
- Select the most appropriate modalities of Shelter interventions depending on the context.
- Designing, coordination, and management of DRC Shelter actions in the relevant area.
- Ensure the highest quality of the sectoral interventions.
- Responsible for timely deliveries, narrative reporting and financial overview, close cooperation with donors, Government counterparts and coordination mechanism at field level.
- Provide capacity building programs for Shelter staff in cooperation with Area/Base managers.
- Provide inputs for monthly, quarterly, and annual donor reports.
- Provide specific project budget management, financial management and expenses supervision for the program activities, including compliance with minimum DRC and donor requirements.
- Management of field beneficiary databases.
Program development and strategy
- Representation of DRC and active participation in local Shelter cluster and/or working groups.
- Oversee knowledge sharing across teams and ensure that monitoring and evaluation results are understood and used to improve programs.
- Drive the development and growth of the relevant programs within the DRC program objectives and feed into country-wide strategy development.
Accountability and reporting:
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives within relevant project program as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement.
- Lead and manage Shelter staff members including coaching, ensuring coordination, recruitment, and capacity development.
- Provide on the job training as much as required and adapt trainings/coaching to specific staff needs.
- Ensure the coordination with relevant Shelter actors in the area of intervention.
As Manager the post- holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility.
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions, and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC.
Required experience and competencies.
- Minimum 2 year of proven experience in Shelter projects in the humanitarian context.
- Proven experience in implementing Shelter activities in complex emergency contexts.
- At least 4 years’ experience with people management.
- Experience in carrying out humanitarian interventions through and in coordination with implementing partner organizations is an asset.
- Full Proficiency in English is compulsory
- Excellent writing and editing skills for external audiences (including governments and donors).
- Calm and diplomatic in nature.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and to meet deadlines.
- Effective team-player – problem solver.
- Previous experience with DRC in emergency context.
- Experience in producing high-quality technical material (training material, program tools, proposals, strategic documents, etc.).
- Excellent reporting skills
- Contract length: 3 months renewable depending on performance
- Level: F2
- Designation of Duty Stations: Sumy
- Start date: As soon as possible.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 10.04.2023 at 23.59 Ukraine time.
Please note the due to the urgency of the position, DRC will screen applications as they are presented, and suitable candidates can be interviewed and hired before the vacancy closure.
Job Description: Click Here