Site Management Support Assistant in Gedaref: DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, and humanitarian mine action. DRC has implemented projects in Central Darfur, South Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, Kassala, and Khartoum states.
Sudan hosts one of the largest displaced populations in Africa, with over 3.7 million internally displaced people and over 1.1 million refugees from South Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen and Syria. Against a background of political crisis, Sudan faces economic and social turmoil, with sharp increases in food and energy costs, further exacerbated by disease outbreaks and ongoing conflict.
About the job:
Under the direct supervision of the Site Management Support Team Leader, the Site Management Support (SMS) Assistant is responsible for the implementation of DRC Sudan Site Management Support activities guided by the line manager and in accordance with approved methodologies and tools, in line with DRC and donor policies and guidelines. He/she will be working in cooperation with all DRC teams and with support, as well as in collaboration with local authorities and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To achieve the overall and specific position’s objectives the job holder tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the planning and implementation of program activities related to the provision of services and assistance to vulnerable and at-risk individuals at the site level. To this end, support the Project Team Leader (Site Management) in implementing work plans and managing program activities accordingly.
- Support delivery of assistance in camps as part of programmatic interventions, ensuring that all material needs of individuals and households in the sites requiring assistance are met.
- Support the mobilization and participation of those assisted at site level, with particular emphasis on meaningful inclusion of women, children, elderly and persons with specific needs into the decision-making processes, including supporting the running of community groups and quick improvement projects.
- Support the identification, management, upkeep and oversight of site solutions for vulnerable individuals and households identified by Protection teams during intake and vulnerability screening.
- Support with partner agencies, CSOs and service providers in ensuring that sites are well kept, operational and to a good standard.
- Support any other programmatic tasks related to the provision of assistance as instructed by the SMS Team Leader
- Support the development of DRC standard operating procedures as well as other strategic documents.
- Support to the monitoring and follow up on maintenance of site infrastructure and support the mobilization of site residents
- Support with the mapping of safety risks and other hazards at site level and surrounding communities when feasible.
- Support the development of an effective referral mechanism and service mapping in close collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that quality and accurate reports and supporting documentation on program activities related to the provision of Site Management assistance, are submitted timely and daily to the SMS Team Leader. To this end, ensure that both the hard and soft copies of all activity reports are archived on the server and/or uploaded onto online platforms for information management as relevant.
- Ensure that all information or data shared is done so in a manner that upholds the principle of data protection and confidentiality.
Representation and coordination
- Implementing the development of positive relationships with beneficiaries, local communities, local authorities, humanitarian partners, service providers etc. in order to maintain trust in DRC’s professional standard and quality of work among all stakeholders.
- Ensure that all interactions with individual beneficiaries take place in an environment and in a way that respect and promotes their safety, trust and dignity. Ensure that all interactions with other stakeholders such as community members and service providers are conducted in accordance to the principles of respect, confidentiality and collaboration.
Implementing the effective implementation of support activities related to the effective implementation of the program, including logistics, administration, human resources, finance and security. In all matters, comply with internal directive and policies as communicated by the SMS Manager.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience within a humanitarian organization, prior experience in emergency responses and in refugee/IDPs camps is desirable
- Experience in community engagement mobilization. In particular, awareness campaigns, distributions or emergency response.
- Excellent knowledge of the Gadaref context
- Good experience of working directly with Sudanese and Ethiopian communities and local authorities
- Good communications skills; experience with dealing with Communities;
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and basic report writing ability.
• University degree
- Amhara or Tigray is an advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Contract length: One Year
- Level: I
- Salary range: 826 – 895 USD, Based on exprecience
- Location: Gedaref
- Expected Start date: ASAP
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the Apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org
Job Description: Click Here