Supply Chain Manager in Damascus: Are you ready to pursue an exciting opportunity with a progressive humanitarian organization in a senior management role? Would you thrive working in one of the world’s most challenging regions for complex humanitarian operations?
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods, and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara’a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job
This role has both an emergency and development response role focus and ensures compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
- Ensure a functional alternative DRC office that meets the operational needs with adequate supply chain resources.
- Establish and lead the Logistics and Procurement functions when deployed, ensuring services meet programme needs and activities are carried out in line with DRC Dynamics procedures and the Operations Handbook.
- Support the development of procurement, warehousing, fleet management, asset management, and IT functions and processes in DRC Dynamics.
- Ensure that the supply chain is compliant, appropriate, and cost-effective, yet flexible to facilitate rapid emergency response.
- Provide inputs to proposals and budget development, to ensure logistics and procurement considerations are taken into account. Foster improved communication between programme and support teams to enhance planning and grant management.
- Support the programme departments with training on DRC Dynamics, logistics, and procurement planning and processes.
- Advise on and promote understanding and application of DRC policies, procedures, and principles.
- Liaise with external stakeholders including Logistics Cluster in Syria, other NGOs, and partners, to ensure up-to-date market and operational constraints information is received and acted upon.
- Follow-up and maintain proper supply chain archives via using DRC online SharePoint platform and having clear and completed offline archives whenever needed.
- Maintain efficient and up-to-date records linked to DRC assets and warehouses across the country and apply the optimization practice consistently.
- Prepare and compile the monthly supply chain package in coordination with the supply chain staff including completed fuel consumption tracker, assets and warehouses stock report, contracts tracker, and completed procurement workflows via DRC Dynamics system.
- Maintain communication with the RO Supply Chain Unit on policy, procedures, compliance and support.
- Oversee the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct within the Logistics and Procurement Department and ensure that staff fully understand what corruption is and are trained regularly on the Code of Conduct and anti-corruption measures.
- Participate in the recruitment of local and international staff as required.
- Manage logistics and procurement staff, providing on-the-job training, capacity building, mentoring and coaching.
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook and the DRC Operations Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of activities and our presence.
- Ensure and maintain proper IT infrastructure and systems in place in coordination with IT personnel across the country operations.
- Ensure compliance with the DRC procurement policies and donor guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with the DRC risk and accountability frameworks.
Experience and technical competencies:
- University degree with advanced training or relevant technical qualification.
- Minimum 5 years experience in humanitarian logistics and procurement, with substantial experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, communications, and security.
- Experience in emergency response.
- Excellent planning, management, and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities and to delegate.
- Experience in advising and supporting others at all levels with the logistics aspects of a programme, including strategic thinking and planning.
- Proven experience working in complex emergency contexts, including working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic, including the ability to simply present complex technical information.
- Strong experience in team management and capacity building and training of staff and target groups.
- Detailed knowledge of humanitarian principles, guidelines, and standards;
- Resilient mind in emergency response mode.
- BA degree in e.g. Logistics and/or Supply Chain Management.
- Professional proficiency in English and Arabic
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: One Year.
Level: F Management
Location: Damascus – Syria
Expected Start date: As soon as possible.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the below link:
Direct Link for application:
Supply Chain Manager – Application Form (hr-manager.net)
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Applications close: 05th of April 2023.
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org
Job Description: Click Here